Jersey Reds have confirmed that 10 members of the back-line from the 2021/22 squad will return for next season’s campaign. Those retained will join 14 forwards – already announced – and a clutch of new signings when the squad begin pre-season training in a few weeks ahead of the 2022/23 season.
The returnees are as follows:
* James Elliott (scrum-half) – set for his 3rd season with the Reds
* James Mitchell (scrum-half) – 2nd season
* Brendan Cope (fly-half) – 7th season (across two spells)
* Tom Pittman (fly-half) – 2nd season
* Dan Barnes (centre) – 3rd season
* Jordan Holgate (centre) – 2nd season
* Will Brown (wing) – 2nd season
* Ryan Hutler (wing) – 3rd season
* Brendan Owen (wing/full-back) – 4th season
* Scott Van Breda (wing/full-back) – 4th season (across two spells)
The club will also say farewell to some of the backs who were part of the squad during the past season:
* Will Lane (scrum-half)
* Harry Simmons (scrum-half/wing), who spent the season on loan to the Reds from Leicester Tigers
* Sam Leeming (fly-half)
* Jack Roberts (centre)
* Ryan Olowofela (wing)
Director of Rugby Harvey Biljon said:
“It’s great to have around two-thirds of this season’s squad coming back in the summer for pre-season – this will give us a great platform on which to build as we go into the 2022/23 campaign.
“At the same time we are saying goodbye to some of those who played a big part in a successful season – I’d like to thank Will, Harry, Sam, Jack and Ryan for their contributions and wish them all the best for the future.”
The club will have further announcements to follow regarding new signings.
The Reds finished fourth in the 2021/22 Championship, their 10th campaign at the second tier of the English game since promotion from National 1 in 2012. The club lost just six out of 20 games and amassed a record haul of 69 league points, as well as reaching the semi-finals of the Championship Cup.
Why not get yourself a Hot Pot (Curry or Chilli served with rice) in the supporters marquee £8 per pot.