It is with deep regret that Guernsey Raiders and Jersey Reds advise that the Centenary Siam Cup fixture scheduled for August 28th 2021 must be postponed due to the current COVID-19 pandemic situation.
The two clubs have been working together over the past month, in conjunction with the States of Guernsey, to ascertain what steps could be taken to ensure that the fixture could proceed. However, with the recent worsening of the situation in Jersey – including the fact that there are currently over 3,000 positive cases and approximately 15,000 people isolating – it is simply not possible. Further, the Reds have a number of positive COVID-19 cases amongst their squads, including players and staff who have either tested positive, or who are isolating as close contacts of positive cases. There are insufficient numbers of players who will be fully-vaccinated in time, which means that Jersey are unable to field any teams for the proposed competition.
Andrea Harris, Chair of the Raiders, said, “This is an extremely disappointing position to be in, some 15 months after the original fixture should have been played, and after the two clubs had agreed the August match, followed by two matches in May 2022, to ‘catch up’the fixtures missed due to the global pandemic. After discussions between the two clubs and the States, it is with a heavy heart that we have to abandon the fixture scheduled for August 28th 2021.
“The Siam Cup has always been a fierce rivalry between the two clubs over its 100 year history. It is tremendously unfortunate that, despite the Raiders ’best efforts to be fully-vaccinated at least 14 days ahead of the planned fixture, it is unable to proceed because of the current situation in Jersey. Siam day is not just about raising much needed funds for the financial coffers; it is a day for the community and one that Guernsey as an island was very much looking forward to.”
Cliff Chipperfield, Chair of the Jersey Reds Amateur teams, said: “We are hugely disappointed that it will not be possible to renew the Siam rivalry with our friends, Guernsey, next month as scheduled. Although we were originally very hopeful that the agreed August date would signal a return to normality, the pandemic has conspired against this in recent weeks.
“A significant proportion of our men’s and women’s Siam squads have either been tested positive or been identified as direct contacts, and this also leaves a number of players unable to receive their second vaccination by mid-August [the deadline for safe travel for the Siam date]. It is a matter of deep regret for everyone at Jersey Reds that we have reached a point where the Siam weekend is no longer possible. We have a double-header to look forward to next May and we will investigate other possible dates when all fixtures for 21/22 have been published.”
The clubs are in discussions to see if the fixture can be rescheduled to another date, and further information will be released when available. The Raiders will be contacting ticket holders and purchasers of match day tables shortly.