Jersey Reds have confirmed the signing of prop Cameron Holenstein. The former Harlequins' loose-head arrives on the Island in time for the start of pre-season training, which starts next week.
Holenstein was born in South Africa and grew up in Magaliesburg, north-west of Johannesburg. The 23-year-old played for the Durban-based Sharks at under 19 level in 2014 before moving to Europe and spending a season with Pau in south-west France. After moving to London in summer 2016, his first season with Harlequins was disrupted by injury, but during 2017/18 he played for Quins in the Aviva Premiership and Anglo-Welsh Cup.
Head Coach Harvey Biljon said: "Cameron's talent was enough to get him an opportunity with a Premiership club, but he had limited game-time and has the potential to really develop his career once he's settled in Jersey."
Holenstein will have an early opportunity to catch up with former team-mates when Harlequins visit the island for a pre-season fixture against the Reds at Stade Santander International on Saturday August 11th.
With the newly-signed player added in, a total of 34 players are currently confirmed as part of the Reds' squad for 2018/19:
Current players (19)
* Max Argyle, back-row
* Leeroy Atalifo, prop
* Rory Bartle, back row
* Mark Best, centre
* Alec Clarey, prop
* Joel Dudley, scrum-half
* George Eastwell, centre
* Roy Godfrey, prop
* Josh Hodson, wing
* Conor Joyce, flanker
* 'Apakuki Ma'afu, centre
* Jack Macfarlane, hooker
* Dave Mckern, lock
* James Newey, centre
* Nick Selway, hooker
* Jerry Sexton, lock
* Auguy Slowik, wing/ full-back
* Jake Upfield, back row/lock
* Jason Worrall, wing/full-back
New signings (15)
* Charlie Beckett (Gloucester), lock/ back row
* Brett Herron (Ulster), fly-half
* Graham Geldenhuys (Sharks), back row
* Kyle Hatherell (Marr), lock/back row
* Cameron Holenstein (Harlequins), prop
* Will Homer (Bath), scrum-half
* Charlie Maddison (Rotherham Titans), hooker
* Koch Marx, (Golden Lions), centre/wing
* Harry Morley, (Cambridge), prop
* Hilton Mudariki (University of Johannesburg), scrum-half
* Aaron Penberthy (Ealing Trailfinders), fly-half
* Sam Rodman (Ealing Trailfinders), prop
* Jack Stapley (Loughborough Students), wing
* Leroy Van Dam (Valley RFC), wing/ full-back
* Janco Venter (Maties), back row
The encounter with Harlequins is one of three summer games for the Reds: French ProD2 side RC Vannes will visit the Island on July 28th, and after the Quins' match on August 11th, Old Elthamians from National 1 complete the set on August 18th, when Old Elthamians 2nds also take on Jersey Reds Athletic at Stade Santander International.
Tickets for pre-season matches are now available via the Eventbrite site, including a three-match deal priced at just £15.
29 Sep 2023
New account aims to channel offers of support from 'rugby family'