Three more players back next season21/02/2019
Jersey Reds have confirmed three more members of the current 1st team squad who have agreed new contracts with the Island side stretching into the 2019/20 season.
Centre Apakuki Ma'afu, back row forward Jake Upfield and prop Zei Alexis are all confirmed for next season, meaning that 25 members of the current squad are set to remain Reds until at least May 2020.
Ma'afu, 31 who has three international caps for Tonga, has become a lynchpin of the Reds' midfield since arriving on the Island towards the end of 2016. 22-year-old Upfield signed for the Reds in October 2017 and has become an increasingly influential member of the squad. Alexis, also 22, made his Reds' debut in November and will be seeking to follow in the footsteps of other Jersey props whose careers evolved significantly during their time on the Island.
Director of Rugby Harvey Biljon said he was very pleased at the continued good progress in squad-building.
"We've got just over two months left of the season, and the squad is focused on achieving the best possible finish in the Greene King IPA Championship," he said. "But we are also seeking to build for the future and achieve continuity in the squad - Jake, Zei and Kuki will play important roles in that process."
The 25 players who have signed new deals, or whose existing contracts already extended into 2019/20, are:
* Nick Selway (hooker - joined the Reds in 2013)
* Charlie Maddison (hooker - 2018)
* Leeroy Atalifo (prop - 2017)
* Alec Clarey (prop - 2017)
* Roy Godfrey (prop - 2017)
* Harry Morley (prop - 2018)
* Zei Alexis (prop - 2018)
* Jerry Sexton (lock - 2017)
* Charlie Beckett (lock - 2018)
* Max Argyle (back row - 2016)
* Rory Bartle (back row - 2017)
* Conor Joyce (back row - 2017)
* Jake Upfield (back row - 2017)
* Kyle Hatherell (back row - 2018)
* Janco Venter (back row - 2018)
* Will Homer (scrum-half - 2018)
* Liam Howley (scrum-half - 2019)
* Aaron Penberthy (fly-half - 2018) (also a Jersey player 2013-16)
* Apakuki Ma'afu (centre - 2016)
* Mark Best (centre - 2017)
* Koch Marx (centre/wing - 2018)
* James Newey (centre/wing - 2018)
* Jack Stapley (wing - 2018)
* Auguy Slowik (wing/full-back - 2017)
* Leroy Van Dam (wing/full-back - 2018)
The Reds have also taken steps to retain members of the existing coaching team into next season. DoR Biljon, who marked five years in Jersey this January, recently signed an extended contract stretching to 2024. His coaching colleagues confirmed for next season are:
* Neil Tunnah (Assistant Coach - Forwards - joined the Reds in 2017)
* Ed Robinson (Assistant Coach - Backs - 2018)
* Jim Molony (Strength & Conditioning Coach - 2015)
* Emlyn Lynch (Head Physiotherapist - 2018)
* Shaun Slater (Analyst - 2018)
* Oliver Ware (Physiotherapist - 2018)