Reds look to the future06/12/2018
Jersey Reds are focusing on the future by retaining a significant proportion of the current 1st XV squad into next season.
Although the 2018/19 season has not yet reached the mid-way point, more than half of the Reds' players have signed new contracts and will be back in summer 2019 ahead of the start of the league season next September.
Chairman Mark Morgan said the club was determined to retain a solid core of players from the squad who have made a strong start to the current season and are currently on a streak of 10 consecutive wins.
"This year's squad featured a significant proportion of new players, but they have gelled together well, playing some excellent rugby and delivering great results after a difficult start to the season in September," he said. "We want to do everything we can to build some strong foundations for next season."
The 21 players who have signed new deals, or whose existing contracts already extended into 2019/20, are:
- Nick Selway (hooker - joined the Reds in 2013)
- Charlie Maddison (hooker - 2018)
- Leeroy Atalifo (prop - 2017)
- Alec Clarey (prop - 2017)
- Roy Godfrey (prop - 2017)
- Harry Morley (prop - 2018)
- Jerry Sexton (lock - 2017)
- Charlie Beckett (lock - 2018)
- Max Argyle (back row - 2016)
- Rory Bartle (back row - 2017)
- Conor Joyce (back row - 2017)
- Kyle Hatherell (back row - 2018)
- Janco Venter (back row - 2018)
- Will Homer (scrum-half - 2018)
- Aaron Penberthy (fly-half - 2018) (also a Jersey player 2013-16)
- Mark Best (centre - 2017)
- Koch Marx (centre/wing - 2018)
- James Newey (centre/wing - 2018)
- Jack Stapley (wing - 2018)
- Auguy Slowik (wing/full-back - 2017)
- Leroy Van Dam (wing/full-back - 2018)
The Reds are also seeking to retain members of the existing coaching team into next season. Head Coach Harvey Biljon, who will mark five years in Jersey this January, signed a new contract last year stretching to 2021. His coaching colleagues already confirmed for next season are:
- Ed Robinson (Assistant Coach - Backs - joined the Reds 2018)
- Jim Molony (Strength & Conditioning Coach - 2015)
- Emlyn Lynch (Head Physiotherapist - 2018)
- Shaun Slater (Analyst - 2018)
Biljon added: "I'm really pleased with the progress we've made so far in our squad-building. Our primary focus remains on this season, and pushing on in both the Championship and Championship Cup, but we also have an eye on the future.
"We are talking to all players and coaches, and hope that we'll be able to confirm more additions for next season in the coming weeks."