Brace of backs added to Reds squad30/04/2019
Jersey Reds have added two more players to their squad for 2019-20.
Tom Williams and Greg Dyer will both be heading to the Island this summer to join the Reds ahead of another season in the Greene King IPA Championship.
Williams, 28, is a full-back who will move to the Island from Cardiff Blues. The Welsh Sevens international started his senior career with the Blues in 2012 before moving west to join the Scarlets in 2015. He spent three seasons at Parc y Scarlets before returning to the Blues last year.
Rugby is in the family for Williams - his older brother Lloyd is a scrum-half for Cardiff Blues who has played 28 times for Wales, while his father Brynmor - also a scrum-half - was capped by Wales and the British & Irish Lions in the late 1970s and early 80s.
Jersey Reds Director of Rugby Harvey Biljon said: "Tom has played plenty of rugby at the top level in Wales and I believe his experience and ability as a player will make him a valuable asset to our squad."
Dyer is a 24-year-old New Zealander who plays at fly-half and also at full-back. Born in Invercargill, he played with another recent Reds' signing, scrum-half Liam Howley, from the age of 14 for age grade teams in his native region, and then for three seasons with Southland Stags in the Mitre 10 Cup.
After completing the 2018 domestic season in New Zealand, Dyer moved to Europe where he currently plays in Spain for Valladolid RAC, and is preparing for the end-of-season play-offs in the División de Honor, the top level of Spanish rugby.
Biljon added: "Greg has made his mark in both New Zealand and Spain, and now has the chance to come into a full-time professional environment and take his game to the next level."
The brace of newcomers take the total of new signings so far for the Reds to 10, alongside 23 players from the existing squad who will be retained for 2019-20.
The 23 Reds players who have signed new deals, or whose existing contracts already extended into 2019/20, are:
* Jack Macfarlane (hooker - joined the Reds in 2016)
* Charlie Maddison (hooker - 2018)
* Leeroy Atalifo (prop - 2017)
* Alec Clarey (prop - 2017)
* Roy Godfrey (prop - 2017)
* Harry Morley (prop - 2018)
* Zei Alexis (prop - 2018)
* Charlie Beckett (lock - 2018)
* Max Argyle (back row - 2016)
* Rory Bartle (back row - 2017)
* Conor Joyce (back row - 2017)
* Jake Upfield (back row - 2017)
* Kyle Hatherell (back row - 2018)
* Janco Venter (back row - 2018)
* Will Homer (scrum-half - 2018)
* Liam Howley (scrum-half - 2019)
* Aaron Penberthy (fly-half - 2018) (also a Jersey player 2013-16)
* Apakuki Ma'afu (centre - 2016)
* Mark Best (centre - 2017)
* James Newey (centre/wing - 2018)
* Jack Stapley (wing - 2018)
* Auguy Slowik (wing/full-back - 2017)
* Leroy Van Dam (wing/full-back - 2018)
* TJ Harris (hooker) - Wasps
* Dan Richardson (prop) - Rotherham Titans
* Liam Hallam-Eames (lock) - Manawatu Turbos
* Alex Thompson (lock) - Ulster
* George Willmott (back row) - Jersey Reds Athletic
* Luc Jones (scrum-half) - Richmond
* Brendan Cope (fly-half) - Yorkshire Carnegie
* Greg Dyer (fly-half/ full-back) - Valladolid RAC
* George Spencer (centre) - Edinburgh Academical
* Tom Williams (full-back) - Cardiff Blues
The Reds have also taken steps to retain members of the existing coaching team into next season. DoR Biljon, who marked five years in Jersey this January, has signed an extended contract stretching to 2024. His coaching colleagues confirmed for next season are:
* Neil Tunnah (Assistant Coach - Forwards - joined the Reds in 2017)
* Ed Robinson (Assistant Coach - Backs - 2018)
* Jim Molony (Strength & Conditioning Coach - 2015)
* Emlyn Lynch (Head Physiotherapist - 2018)
* Shaun Slater (Analyst - 2018)
* Oliver Ware (Physiotherapist - 2018)