Jersey v Nottingham - March 1612/03/2013
Updates read from top down
Match day, 11am: Bright and breezy at St Peter after some heavy morning rain. Game definitely on, just awaiting formal decision from referee at around 12 noon whether we play on pitch 1 or pitch 4. Sensible footwear recommended.
Pics taken at KO time (2.15pm) Friday
Pitch 1 is now clear of snow, except the dead ball area. There are a few wet areas, but generally firm and it's bright and breezy at the moment. We hope the weather will be kind in next 24 hours. Pitch 4 remains on stand-by.
Update Friday 1.15pm:
Transport/ Car Parking: Due to the weather, we will only have a limited amount of parking on pitch 3 tomorrow and anyone who has any other possible means of getting to St Peter is urged to consider buses, taxis, getting a lift, cycling or walking. Liberty Buses will be running duplicate services on the number 9 route and there is also the route 15 service to the Airport - get off at the penultimate stop, the Mermaid. If you have to drive, please allow extra time for car parking and bear in mind that space cannot be guaranteed.
Update: Friday 11.30am
The Assistant Referee for the game has inspected the pitches at St Peter and is satisfied that both pitches 1 and 4 are playable. Work continues to remove the last remaining snow from pitch 1, and we are hopeful the game will take place on this pitch. Pitch 4 is available as a stand-by if required. Nottingham RFC have been informed and have confirmed they will be travelling to Jersey as scheduled this afternoon.
Update: Friday 9am
One of the Assistant Referees for tomorrow's game will be at the club at around 10am this morning to inspect the pitches ahead of the game tomorrow. We await an official verdict but are hopeful that he will rule that the game can proceed as planned.
Volunteers are being asked to come to the club this morning and help move snow from the main pitch. Bring sensible shoes and a snow shovel if you have one. Good progress was made in this regard yesterday and we expect to be able to finish the job this morning.
Please keep an eye on this site and JRFC Twitter for updates.
Update: Thursday 5.40pm
Following a pitch inspection at St Peter earlier this afternoon, JRFC officials have been in dialogue with the with the referees' dept and organising committee at Twickenham, as well as Nottingham RFC throughout this afternoon. There is no 100% definite decision but we are hopeful to get the green light in the morning (Friday) for the game to go ahead.
Update: Wednesday, 1.45pm:
JRFC conducted a preliminary inspection of the pitch at St Peter this morning (Wednesday). It has a thick covering of snow which in some places has drifted as high as the perimeter advertising boards. Although the pitch underneath is not frozen, clearing the snow without seriously damaging the pitch may prove challenging.
We are keeping the Organising Committee of the RFU, and our opponents Nottingham, informed, and our current plan is to hold a further inspection tomorrow (Thursday) to assess what improvement there has been to the conditions. The intention, as agreed with the RFU, is that a definite decision will be made by lunchtime on Thursday.
Statement in advance of the Jersey v Nottingham game, scheduled for Saturday March 16th at St Peter, k-o 2.15pm
Jersey RFC has been in contact with both Nottingham RFC and the Organising Committee of the Rugby Football Union (RFU), and will inspect the pitch at St Peter on Wednesday morning (March 13), by which stage we hope it will have stopped snowing, enabling us to make a realistic assessment of the state of the pitch.
pic below taken Weds AM