Carmarthen Quins 24 Jersey 9


Jersey's British & Irish Cup campaign, which began promisingly and featured hope of qualification for the knock-out stages, came to a disappointing end in west Wales.

Carmarthen Quins

The Islanders took a nine-point lead against Carmarthen Quins in the final group match played at Church Bank, Llandovery. But it was downhill from there, with the Quins scoring four tries to complete an eventually comfortable victory and seal second place in pool 5, although this was not enough to qualify.

The Jersey pack dominated the early exchanges and this stranglehold led to a series of penalty awards. Aaron Penberthy stepped up on each occasion and landed three of the four kicks to put his side nine points ahead.

The home team realised that playing a tight game would suit Jersey and were able to channel the ball wide. This meant no more penalty chances for Jersey, and then led to a try: the Islanders' previously water-tight defence was breached, and Adam Warren crossed the line, with Daniel Jones adding the extras to reduce the arrears to just two points at half-time.

The early stages of the second half were attritional, with few scoring opportunities until a well-placed grubber kick by Dan Jones enabled winger Jordan Williams to score and give his side the lead. Jersey's best effort during this period was when Ross Jones-Davies almost put Ed Dawson in for a try.

By this stage Jersey had made several changes, with Gareth Harris and Danny Herriott coming into the front row. Joe Buckle moved from hooker to the back row but was soon forced from the field with a shoulder injury, Nick Campbell coming on.

Jersey's forwards were no longer dominant, and pressure at the scrum meant that Jersey were warned and Nacho Lancuba eventually received a yellow card. Straight after this, a rolling maul rumbled over the try-line and Roy Osborn scored, with Dan Jones adding the conversion and making it 19-9.

Myles Landick entered the fray, the loose-head making his first appearance for Jersey's 1st XV since the league game against Cornish Pirates in April 2013.

The bonus point try for the Quins came in the closing stages with quick hands freeing replacement Aaron Warren to canter to the line.

After the final whistle, Harvey Biljon said he was disappointed by his side's failure to control the game after going ahead, bemoaning a high error count. He said it was pleasing to see players such as Williams, Landick and Phillips return and said that he hoped there were no major injury concerns with the exception of Buckle, whose shoulder injury will be analysed in the coming days.

British & Irish Cup qualifiers (for quarter finals w/e of January 24th, ties to be drawn on December 15th):

Home ties: Doncaster, Worcester, Bristol and Rotherham

Away ties: Leinster 'A', Yorkshire Carnegie, Pontypridd and Munster 'A'

Carmarthen: Steff Evans, ?Frazier Climo, ?Steff Hughes (capt)?, Adam Warren, Jordan Williams, Daniel Jones, Kieran Hardy; Rhys Thomas, Ryan Elias, Jacobie Adriaanse, Lewis Rawlins, Shaun Jones, Phil Day, Will Boyde, Tom Phillips. Replacements: Torrin Myhill, Gethin Robinson, Ben Leung, Roy Osborn, Kyle Evans, Aaron Warren, Iolo Evans

Jersey: Ross Jones-Davies, Jack Burroughs (Mark Foster 59), David Bishop, Tobias Hoskins (Grant Pointer 68), Ed Dawson, Aaron Penberthy, Joel Dudley (Ryan Glynn 76); Ignacio Lancuba (YC 64) (Markham 74), Joe Buckle (Nick Campbell 51), Harry Williams (Herriott HT), Pierce Phillips, Dave Markham (Myles Landick 68), Alex Rae (capt), Ryan Hodson (Harris HT), Mick Noone.

Referee: Andy Brace (IRFU)
Attendance: 300 (estimate)
Half-time: 7-9

Penalties: Penberthy 10, 13, 20

Tries: Adam Warren 29, Williams 56, Osborn 65, Aaron Warren 74
Conversion: Jones D 29, 65

Email Newsletter

Enter your email address below to receive our email newsletter.

Photo Gallery
Go to the Gallery
Events Calendar

Check out the Academy calendar to see what events are coming up.