Guernsey 7 Jersey 38


Jersey won the Siam Cup for a sixth consecutive year, but were given a testing afternoon by a determined Guernsey side.

The visitors made a strong start, with Mark McCrea going close only for a knock-on to end the threat. Scrum-half Nicky Griffiths was a lively presence until being forced from the field around the 20 minute-mark with an injury. Griffiths was involved twice in his team's opening score, making an initial break and then being on hand a few seconds later to race down the right. Niall O'Connor converted.

Griffiths and McCrea were again involved in setting up Ed Dawson for Jersey's second, and an O'Connor cross-kick may have set up the third but for miscommunication between McCrea and Dawson as the ball came down near the corner.

As Jersey began to dominate, a punishing series of drives was soaked up by the tenacious home defence, however something had to give and eventually Mark Foster crossed.

A number of replacements were introduced early in the second half but Jersey continued to press and crossed twice from set-piece lineout drives, Joe Buckle and Sam Lockwood were the scorers.

Arguably the pick of Jersey's tries was the sixth, which came directly from the kick-off and featured fine interplay from Foster and replacement James Copsey before Tom Brown galloped down the touchline to cross in the corner.

While other sides may have wilted after a physical contest played in warm sunshine, Guernsey continued to play with spirit and received their just reward when scrum-half Dale Rutledge went over in the closing stages. The eventual winning margin of 31 points made light of the three-level gap between the sides in the RFU pyramid and showed Guernsey will be among the challengers for promotion to National Two South next season.

Guernsey: Whitehead; J Batiste, McDougall, Campbell, Taylor; Ball, Rutledge; Craine, Ceillam, L Batiste, Hillier, Merrien, Thomas, Le Cocq, Barton.
Replacements: Garner, Hobbs, Bellingham, Garner, Dacres, O'Hanlon, Sayer, Challinor.

Jersey: Burroughs; Foster, Bishop (Copsey), McCrea, Dawson; O'Connor (Dudley), Griffiths (Williams); McCarthy (Lockwood), Stratford (Taione), Brennan (capt) (Selway), Rae, Voss (Markham), Makaafi (Maidment), Buckle, Brown.

Half-time: 0-19
Attendance: 2,000 (est)
Referee: Phil Davies
Assistant Referees: Paul Kimber and Richard Kelly


Tries: Griffiths, Dawson, Foster, Buckle, Lockwood, Brown
Cons: O'Connor (2); Dudley (2)

Try: Rutledge
Con: Whitehead

Other matches

Nash Cup
Jersey Wanderers battled back from a 24-7 half-time deficit to claim the honours in the Veterans match. Jersey's try scorers were Matt Davenport-Brown, Craig Simeon, Rory Steel and James Milner, with Darren Toudic adding four conversions, and the final score was 24-33.

Fallaize Cup
Jersey fielded a 2nd team squad mixing youth and experience, and although it was the home team who scored first, the men in red seized control and eventually finished comfortable winners 24-43.

Ladies Siam
Guernsey led a close contest 8-5 at half-time but eventually pulled clear to give the hosts their only win of the day by 27-10.

Email Newsletter

Enter your email address below to receive our email newsletter.

Photo Gallery
Go to the Gallery
Events Calendar

Check out the Academy calendar to see what events are coming up.